Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hard at work-and a question: talk among yer selves.

Thrashing away at the UDP (universal dungeon profile).  Coming along nicely. 

Here's a topic:  in my earlier post about bricks and basilisks, I keep saying that it isn't a skirmish game, but rather an RPG ....even if it isn't there yet.  Its kind of tongue-in-cheek, but thereit does reflect  a real issue as regards design, at least in my probably too-analystic and tortuously overthought musings....

So, the question is this:  what differmntiates a role playing game from other similar games.  Obviously persistance isn't unique to an RPG, any wargame campaign will illustrate that -and , one shots are also seen as roleplaying, right (re ADD 4e encounters) ? Not Dice or the GM/Player distinction.  It could be the huge weight of rules compared toalmost any other type of game, but that is too depressing to consider....

Similalry, It can't just be the willingness to metaphorically put on a wig and funny nose and pretend to be someone else, either.  I'm the example of that - I roleplay everything. Everything.  No kidding; even the hardest core miniatures wargame will find me personalizing at least one figure, (meet Lt. Nesbitt, found as a low level commander in games from 1600 to the far future), and I've been known to have my divisional chits have personaities and conversations- my parents assure me that the salt and pepper shakers often had elaborateadventures when I was a child at dinner. So.....what then ?

1 comment:

anarchist said...

I think it was S. John Ross who used the phrase "tactical infinity", meaning that in an RPG you can come up with an action not covered by the rules, but justified by the fictional world, and this is considered to be legal. Whereas in Monopoly, for example, you can't say "well since this is a simulation of buying real estate, I'm going to spend $10000 bribing the Health Commission to declare my rivals' properties unfit for human habitation."